Back after a long hiatus.

After being dormant from posting for three years on this site, I have decided to begin blogging once again.  The farm has not been dormant however. so I will begin to share with you changes made, and ongoing projects in process right now as the year progresses.

One of the biggest projects happening right now is the removal of the old existing walled garden.  This garden has served us well for almost 11 years, but had begun to fall apart.  And the walls were not effective at keeping out hungry dogs in search of tomatoes to snack on.

oldgarden1

Work began over Thanksgiving break to demolish the existing bed.  The chickens aren’t sure what to think of it all.

 

oldgarden3

Taking out 500 sq. ft of raised beds was huge undertaking!  Since the old wood was not pressure treated, I kept most of it for other projects or to be cut up for firewood.

The next task was to level the existing surface.  This was accomplished by tying a section of wire fence with concrete blocks on top of it to the back end of my riding lawnmower and repeatedly going back and forth over the surface to more or less even out the surface. (Early December 2015)

leveled

The new garden plan will consist of 10 raised beds, each 4′ by 8′ and approx. 1.5′ tall.  This will give 320 sq. ft. of new garden space.  A reduction in size from the original garden, but much more efficiently planned, water-wise and intensive.  It may be an El Nino year, but one needs to prepare for ongoing California drought conditions through water conservation.  The beds will be constructed out of Doulas Fir 2 x 6 x 8’s and 4 x 4 x 2’s, non-pressure treated wood.  The fencing will consist of agricultural hog fencing panels attached to 4×4 posts (pressure-treated).

Screen Shot 2015-12-30 at 10.18.14 PM

XMAS break 2015, new construction is underway.  Post holes dug, corner posts set and fencing being attached.  The first garden bed is done, nine more to go.

1stbedin

12/30/2015:  Six beds done, the plan is starting to take shape.

6bedsin

Say goodbye to gopher problems.  One of the previous scourges of gardening for me has been dealing with gophers.  I have tried multiple methods of preventing gopher damage to crops with varying success.  I am convinced that the best method is exclusion.  So each bed will have hardware cloth (23 gauge with 1/4″ x 1/4″ spacing) affixed to the bottom.

hardwarecloth

That’s the update for now, I am  looking forward to a very busy year of posting here on the blog.

Advertisements

One thought on “Back after a long hiatus.

  1. I really like the gopher solution. Reading your blog may just make me finish the tiny 8′ x 8′ raised garden I started – and never even remotely got going – 20 years ago. I’ve always admired your gardening skills, environmental conservation, and being prepared.

    Deborah Simmons

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s